Navigation Placeholder

Lagrange...

Over the weekend, I picked up Lagrange...
Madoka Kyono is an energetic girl who is full of passion. As the proud - and only - member of the Kamogawa Girls' High School Jersey Club, she goes around helping people in need. But Madoka's life is turned upside down when she is suddenly asked by a mysterious girl named Lan to pilot a robot. Motivated by her desire to protect the people and city of Kamogawa, Madoka agrees to pilot the resurrected Vox robot to fight against extraterrestrials that have come to attack Earth.
As a general rule, I'm not really a big fan of the giant-robot genre of anime. Of course, there are exceptions like Patlabor and Neon Genesis Evengelion, but, as a general rule, I tend to avoid the giant-robot genre of anime. So, imagine my surprise when Lagrange came home with me.

I've seen half of the first season and my initial impression of the series is fairly positive. Lagrange seems to combine the giant-robot and harem genres with Madoka as the focus of the harem. There is some fan service -- skimpy costumes and a bit a bare skin, but, not really any bloodshed or gore to speak of. Although, Lagrange is marketed by Viz as being for mature audiences, I  haven't seen anything, so far, that might be considered objectionable for the younger anime fans among us. In researching Lagrange, I determined that "Set 1" is season 1 of the series and presumably "Set 2", to be released at a later date, will be season 2.

Lagrange is a world where giant robots exist, but, refreshingly, they don't seem to be the focus of the series. The atmosphere of Lagrange conveys a feeling of a slice-of-life drama sprinkled with some humorous elements and the occasional giant robot. Lan is certainly the butt of many jokes, but, is quite likable and endearing. Madoka is outgoing and enthusiastic, even when she's not entirely sure what she should be doing. There are some darker elements in the series, but, so far, what I've seen suggests that even the darker places in Lagrange are not so dark.

The pace of the series is a bit slow, so, if you're looking for non-stop giant-robot action, you'll probably be disappointed with Lagrange. Halfway through the first season, Lagrange seems to be more of a drama in which giant robots exist than an action-packed giant-robot slug-fest. Be forewarned, eye candy does not abound in Lagrange. Even though I haven't yet finished watching the series, I have found the series to be reasonably entertaining. Even at this early stage I would give Lagrange a 3 out of 5.