Navigation Placeholder

Kiki's Delivery Service...

Years ago, I picked up the subtitled and dubbed VHS versions of Kiki's Delivery Service. Yes, way back in the misty dawn of time, you actually had to get both versions separately...
A young witch named Kiki and her chatty black cat, Jiji, befriend a bakery owner who helps Kiki start her own business: a high-flying delivery service. The job opens up a world of fun-filled escapades and new friendships. Rarely has the animator's art been so brilliantly rendered as in this delightfully imaginative film that will entertain boys and girls everywhere.
According to the Anime Movie Guide by Helen McCarthy (page 101). ISBN# 0-87951-781-6...
KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE (Eng. title for MAJO NO TAKKYUBIN, lit. Witch's Special Delivery) The term "takkyubin" (special or express delivery) had been trademarked by Yamamoto Transport and Isao Takahata had to do some strenuous negotiation to get permission for its use in the title of the movie. So successfully did he handle this that the delivery company put money into the production. Look for various earlier Miyazaki characters making guest appearances in the crowd scenes - Lupin III, Lord Yupa, Ma Dola and Professor Kusakabe all make an appearance!
Disney's ability to attract better-than-average voice talent makes the English dub very enjoyable. I'm not sure of the differences between the English and Japanese versions. I'm sure that there are some, but, although I have the subtitled version, I haven't actually watched it (or at least not very much of it). I do know that some of the music was re-recorded for the dubbed version because I have the original Japanese soundtrack and certain musical elements in the dubbed version are not on the Japanese soundtrack CD. I have seen enough of the subtitled version to know that Phil Hartman's performance as JiJi was, in my humble opinion, as good, if not better than the original Japanese version.

Kiki's Delivery Service OST CD
Needless to say, but, I'll say it anyway. No naughty bits, no bloodshed and no gore. I used to have both the dubbed and subtitled VHS versions and since Disney is finally moving away from VHS and just because I like this title, I repurchased this a third time just to have it on DVD. I gave Kiki's Delivery Service a 4 out of 5. The Kiki's Delivery Service soundtrack CD has 21 tracks and I liked 5 tracks for a total of 28.5% which works out to a rating of 2 out of 4.