Navigation Placeholder

Freedom...

I picked up the Freedom DVD hoping that it might play on my DVD player, but, sadly, my player doesn't recognize the disc. So, this particular title will have to sit on the bottom of the pile of unwatched anime. The plain white packaging isn't really any good and at 25 minutes and $40, Freedom is very short and very over-priced, but, the story seemed worth a shot. What a waste...
Volume 1
In the 23rd century, mankind has fled earth and emigrated to the moon. The last outpost of civilization is the Lunar Republic of Eden, where the omnipresent Citizens Administration Council grants residents everything they need - except their freedom.

His mandatory education complete, 15-year-old Takeru is in a six-month period of freedom while the Council determines his social status. Uneasy about the future, Takeru and friends decide to race their customized Lunar Terrain Vehicle in the ultimate tube race!

Volume 2
During routine maintenance on the lunar surface, Takeru finds a strange capsule containing a single photograph. Captivated by the enigmatic girl in the photo, he scours the city in vain for clues to her identity. In desperation, Takeru and friends turn to old man Alan and are shocked by what he reveals. In search of the truth, Takeru and Kazuma escape Eden, but are soon pursued by mysterious robots. Will they head back to safety - or speed past the point of no return?

Volume 3
What do you do when you discover everything you believe is a lie... and your freedom an illusion? Entering forbidden territory, Takeru has uncovered Eden's most closely guarded secret - and finds himself being hunted by the Guidance Council. Shattered and disillusioned, Takeru recklessly attempts to escape to the only place he can discover the truth - and secure his freedom.

Volume 4
In 1969, man landed on the moon. Now three centuries later, he returns to earth... With nothing but a photograph to guide him, Takeru flees the lunar city of Eden in search of a girl he's never met on a planet he's never seen. Thus begins the Chapter of Earth, as Takeru and Biz discover they are aliens on the planet their ancestors once called home. Will they find paradise - or utter desolation?

Volume 5
After a 200,000-mile quest to Earth, Takeru somehow finds Ao - the girl in the photograph - living in a desolate Florida village among the ruins of the NASA space program. But he soon discovers his search for love has just begun... As he tries to fit in as an alien on his own home planet, he learns of a mysterious legend known only as "FREEDOM." And the Chapter of Earth continues...

Volume 6
With the fate of mankind riding on his shoulders, Takeru vows to return to Eden. And after revealing her childhood memories of a space flight gone horribly - and fatally - wrong, Ao demands to go with him. But can their makeshift rocket, scrapped together from an antiquated Apollo program, make the journey? As the series speeds towards its dramatic climax, it's a voyage sure to end in destiny... or disaster.
...But then, as I began to lament the $40 I threw away on this 25 minute title, I thought that perhaps I should pop this into my PC's DVD drive to see what would happen. And, wouldn't you know... that damned thing actually worked. I've seen the opening animation and the first few minutes of the feature and it looks very good. The animation style appears to be a mix of CG and traditional animation. I don't really like the subtitles on my PC screen -- they're a bit too small for me to comfortably read. Also, the animation started without a menu. As it turns out, that's not a good sign. There is a menu, but, it basically consists of a start button. There are no goodies or even a scene selection menu for those of us who are not on the HD bandwagon.

There are warnings on the package that some content requires internet access. A bit of investigation revealed that some features (specifically the prologue and trailer) require an activation key. I don't think I like the idea of having to connect to the internet to obtain an access key to access content on the disc that really doesn't need to be locked down in this manner. I didn't see an option to access the trailer or prologue in the menu, so, I can only assume that these are HD-only goodies anyway.

Did I mention that I don't like the $40 per episode format? I don't think that I'll support this distribution method in future releases, regardless of the quality of the animation.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Update

I've finished watching the first installment of Freedom. The animation quality is stunning and the story is very engaging. There are no naughty bits or gore to speak of. Also, the opening theme is quite good. Ordinarily, a title with excellent animation, an engaging story and good music would get fairly high marks from yours truly. But, I can't, in good conscience, recommend this title.

If this release didn't come with so much technological baggage, I would definitely consider continuing my investment in the series -- even at $40 an episode. But, the fact that there are no extras for the HD-challenged among us; the fact that the disc won't play in my DVD player; and the fact that even if I could access the extras, that they would still need to be "unlocked" with an online access key; all contribute to my strong reservations about continuing to invest in the series and my refusing to recommend this title. I gave Freedom a 1 out 5.