Navigation Placeholder

Heavy Metal Stuffs My Stocking...

With the demise of Tower Records, I've decided to give myself a Christmas present - a subscription to Heavy Metal Magazine.

The first issue of my subscription arrived a few days ago. Now all I need is a place to store the new issues. I've got about four inches of real estate available and I'll probably use that up in fairly short order.I started collecting comic books many years ago and have an eclectic taste. I tended to avoid the major publishers and gravitated toward independent releases. After the collecting bubble burst, a lot of the independents either went out of business or some of the series that I really enjoyed were discontinued. I had a difficult time finding characters and series that would stick around long enough for me to enjoy. I researched various characters and series, but after a while my tastes shifted to anthologies.

In the early 90's, I was just starting to develop an interest in anime and was transitioning from comic books to anime. Tower Records had a nice mix of different magazines. At that time, a magazine called Anime FX was still available (by the way, I still have a handful of issues in the archive). Eventually, I stopped collecting comic books altogether and concentrated on anime.

Enter Heavy Metal. I picked up my first issue of Heavy Metal in 1995 at the Tower Records on 6th and South Streets (Philadelphia). Even though I lost interest in comic books, I've never lost interest in Heavy Metal. I love the artwork and also the stories. I've been a fan of Heavy Metal for many years. Over the years, I've picked up various issues at Tower Records whenever I happened to be in the area. Now that Tower Records is gone, I felt the time was right for a subscription to Heavy Metal.