Navigation Placeholder

Sacred Blacksmith...

I picked up Sacred Blacksmith recently...
Cecily's a blushing knight in shining armor. Unfortunately, it seems most battles end with her as the damsel in distress. Her lack of skill and distaste for violence make her an unlikely heroine - until the brooding blacksmith Luke comes to her aid, using his powerful magic to forge blades of supernatural strength. Cecily wields this sacred steel and charges forth to face a dangerous new threat. A cloaked fiend is unleashing demons upon the land, and though he lurks in shadows, the villain is much closer than Cecily can imagine.
I've seen the first few episodes of Sacred Blacksmith, and, so far, I'm pleased with the series. So far, I've seen some elements that are very reminiscent of Claymore -- monsters that were once human and other elements that I've seen in other series, but, used in a refreshingly new way. Unlike Claymore, Sacred Blacksmith is not as brooding and malevolent -- there are glimpses of darker undercurrents yet to come, but, so far, the mood is decidedly less dreary. There is some humor in Sacred Blacksmith, often at the expense of either Cecily or Luke which serves to lighten what would otherwise be a dark and dreary series.

The animation quality is quite good. Sacred Blacksmith has a clean, well-polished look and feel that I've come to expect in relatively modern productions. So far, the creature effects have been consistent with Claymore -- minus the sparkly silver and gold eyes. While there are no naughty bits to speak of, there is some fan service and plenty of bloodshed and gore. So, the series might not be suitable for the younger anime fans among us.

I picked up the box set and it looks like there's room in the box for two additional DVDs, so, I would imagine that a part two will come at some point. Although the pace of the series is a bit slow, so far, I have high hopes for the series and will continue to support the series in the future. By the way, the series has shades of Claymore within, but, is not as dark and brooding as Claymore. All things considered, I found Sacred Blacksmith entertaining. I give the series a 3 out of 5.