Navigation Placeholder

Nissan "Dream Garage" Commercial...

In 1996, I saw the infamous Nissan "Dream Garage" commercial and immediately afterwards, I made an effort to add it to the archive. But, eleven years later, in the aftermath of the Ultimate Otaku Fall Cleanup, try as I might, I couldn't remember which one of the 2000+ VHS tapes had the commercial on it. So, sadly, the commercial went away. According to Wikipedia...


Mr. Nissan - Mysterious man with the terrier dog, glasses, baseball cap and a big grin featured on a series of Nissan automobile TV commercials in 1996. The mystic Mr. Nissan character was loosely based on the former Nissan Motor Corporation U.S.A. founder Yutaka Katayama who reportedly represented "honor, integrity and fun." Nissan North America launched its "Life is a journey. Enjoy the Ride." advertising campaign with a two minute television commercial at the 1996 Super Bowl.

The spot featured a "Dream Garage" filled with vintage Nissan vehicles most notably a silver 1967 Datsun Roadster 2000 prominently used in the print campaign. The ad campaign tag line read: "Life is a journey. Enjoy the ride."
Recent expeditions into the Internet have demonstrated that a great many forgotten treasures may be found half buried and discarded all over the place. It took a while to find what I was looking for because I couldn't remember much about the commercial. But, after several days of searching, I realized that I was looking for a mid 1990's Nissan commercial. After about a week, YouTube came through for me, yet again. Surprisingly, the Nissan "Dream Garage" commercial is a very difficult ad to find.

Sadly, I wasn't able to find a high resolution version. Even so, I added it to the archive and although the quality isn't as good as I would like, at the very least, this incident has driven home the need for me to better document what my archive contains and where archived items can be found, so that I don't lose track of my archive again.