Navigation Placeholder

I Like The New Blogger Dynamic Templates...

I'm particularly fond of the Magazine template. At the time of this writing (October 2011), there is very little customization offered for the new templates. In addition, scripts appear to have been disabled. This would prevent me from dynamically replacing the rating images on-the-fly. The Blogger team has made assurances that these deficiencies will be dealt with in forthcoming software upgrades.

Of greater concern is the fact that the new templates do not appear to degrade nicely in older browsers. About half of my traffic comes from people using older browsers. The site displays a message in older browsers that the user needs to upgrade. The user is given an opportunity to proceed, but, since the bulk of my traffic comes from search engines, I would think that such a message would tend to discourage users from viewing the site.

Overall, while I'm very pleased with the new templates, there are still some usability issues to work through, so, I don't think I'll be one of the early adopters.