Navigation Placeholder

Optimized for Kindle...

When browsing the blog with my keyboard Kindle, I noticed that the user experience was not really all that inviting. The blog has a mobile template, but, apparently, the Kindle isn't considered a mobile device, so, the standard template appeared instead. The navigation menu on the right side of the page was causing my page to appear in the less-than-appealing zoom-browsing-mode on the Kindle. So, I decided to move the navigation menu to the bottom of the page. Now, the blog entries fit very nicely within the bounds of the Kindle's margins without triggering the dreaded zoom-browsing-mode.

December 22, 2011

Update

Recently, I realized that the tabs at the top of the page don't work very well when pointing to external links. So, I had to remove the offending tab for the time being. There is a work-around that involves creating a blank page and adding a meta refresh tag to the page's html, but, that seems a bit inelegant and will probably fail in browsers that do not recognize the meta refresh tag. I tried adding a message advising that users would be redirected to another page, but, adding the message removed the meta refresh tag. I think I'll just wait for a fix.

March 22, 2017

Update

With Blogger's latest templates up and running, I've found, much to my amazement,  that my classic keyboard Kindle can still handle the new templates reasonably well.

February 22, 2018

Update

After I made the switch to enable support for https for the blog, my classic keyboard Kindle is complaining bitterly about the https redirects. However, my Paperwhite Kindle, is still rolling along like a champ. When viewing individual pages on the site using a Paperwhite Kindle, it's best to use the article mode as the web mode displays almost unreadably tiny print.