Navigation Placeholder

Twilight of the Cockroaches...

Years ago, when all manner of wonderful things were available on video tape, I picked up the VHS version of Twilight of the Cockroaches...
The story of an impending roach Holocaust in a Tokyo apartment complex, as told from the insects' point of view, wherein the animated insects are the hereos and the live-action humans are the villains. Whether viewed as a diverting action film or as an allegory of genocide, TWILIGHT OF THE COCKROACHES is the most original picture of the year. With its subtle allusions to Hiroshima and Dachau, this comedy has unexpected resonance. You will think twice before getting out that can of Blockade.
Twilight of the Cockroaches is a nice mix of live-action and traditional animation. Even though the storyteller would like me to empathize with the roaches and draw a connection to the Holocaust and the use of weapons of mass destruction during the second World War, I found it quite impossible to feel any sympathy for the roaches. I used to have the dubbed VHS version. In the aftermath of the Ultimate Otaku Fall Cleanup, I decided not to keep it in my archive. I gave Twilight of the Cockroaches a 4 out of 5.