Navigation Placeholder

Otaku Fall Cleanup 2016...


Currently, I have over 4500 DVDs. Lately, I've been struggling under the weight of anime that will not fit in my custom cabinet. Shortly after installing the cabinet, I had it completely filled, but, only with titles from A to N. Titles from O to Z were crammed into two drawers under my bed and scattered among four shelves and there was no room for new titles.

So, I took the doors off the cabinet and added longer shelf brackets and filler strips to expand the shelves from 8 inches to 12 inches. With the expanded shelves in place, I could add a second row. To allow for new titles, I only used half of the second row. I then added two fixed shelved below the cabinet. The expanded shelves and the two new shelves still only made space for titles from A to S.

Next, I decided to turn my attention to a bookcase on the opposite side of the room. I reorganized the books to make better use of the space and that gave me three extra shelves onto which I could place the titles from T to Z.

I moved the printer stand and and increased the height of an existing shelf that was only holding CDs. This allowed me to place more CDs on the shelf and it also made room for a second row of DVDs to sit in front of the CDs. I used some of this space for the Starblazers box sets and some of the Batman movies. I cleared away some of my old documents on a high shelf and the space savings made it possible to showcase some of the collectibles.

I didn't do too much this time around, but, I think I have enough space for another 250 live action DVDs, 200 new anime DVDs and about 80 animation DVDs (split between Disney and non-Disney). So, I could make it to 5000 titles before things start to get tight again.